Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Cilantro

I did not realize that Cilantro is a winter crop. As you all now, last winter was pretty severe in Texas and several of our perennials died. But Cilantro actually did very well. In fact one corner of our vegetable bed turned into lush green with the Cilantro crop. When the bed got covered by snow, the contrast between lush green and pure white made my heart sing.
Sow Cilantro fall through spring. This year I had a bunch of them popping out in fall, self seeding from last season.



Bed in November 2010

I plant cilantro in several areas of my garden, using it as an edible, live ornamental arrangement in the flower bed as well as in the kitchen garden.
When the plant is young, cilantro is glossy; its finely divided flat leaves resemble those of Italian parsley. Cooks around the world use different parts of this plant. I use the leaves and tender stems in all my cooking.
As the plant stretches to reach its ultimate height of 2 ft. to 2-1⁄2 ft., the leaves turn small and feather like, almost like soft pine needles. The newer, greener leaves are preferable to the feathery secondary leaves, which have a tendency to be bitter.


Cilantro in March 2011

Here in Texas when the temperature reaches 80 F the plant goes to a flowering, seeding mode. This year they did well till April.


Cilantro in April 2011

We are now half way through April and they are in full bloom. I cut the stalks thinking they will give me more fresh leaves. No such luck. I am going to try growing it in total shade this summer. It is hard for me to accept the fact that I cannot get fresh Cilantro from my garden during summertime.

No comments:

Post a Comment